.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

She's 16 and decided she needed a little more attention...

August 16, 2019
Allie had ALL her friends over for her birthday party on Friday Night.
She had a great time..
however, as we sat down for dinner that evening (before her friends arrived) she told me her stomach had been bothering her and that she "thinks" she had blood in her stool earlier that day..
I was like, "what?!?"
"why didn't you say anything".
She said..."I don't know..."
The party continued...she said she felt ok.

In the middle of the night..
She wakes me up and says, "I threw up blood..."..."What?"
I got up and this is what I saw (Thankfully I took this picture)
The next morning - I didn't think too much of it because she said she, "felt fine".  So I went off to Zumba class and sent Scott with her to urgent care.  After my class Scott called and said that once he showed the doctor at urgent care the picture, the doctor told Scott to immediately take her to the ER.
At this point I'm like, "what?!"..starting to get a little worried.
I went home and changed and arranged for my Grace and CJ to go to Tiana's house.
I met Scott and the ER and then the adventure began.
They drew her blood to check her hemoglobin and her numbers were very low...after more investigation and another blood draw to check her numbers...they determined her numbers were dropping rapidly which meant she had an "active bleed".
Some of our dearest friends arrived to give her a blessing.  We are also blessed because one is a surgical nurse at the hospital and the other is a pharmacist at the hospital.  They both are well versed with all things hospital!
After the blessing the doctor came in and said that he was concerned enough that he called for her to be airlifted up to Valley Children's Hospital and that she would be getting two pints of blood transfused into both arms.
We were all pretty shocked at that pronouncement...and so began the next phase...

Here she is waiting for results..
 and more waiting...
Prepping for transport...
 The pilot and nurses that transported her (and took her picture) told her she was the happiest passenger they have ever had!
 She was transported right to the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) and Scott and I drove up to meet her.
After we got there we were instructed they were going to start the process of "cleaning her system out"...which was super fun - that kept us up all night as we joked of it being a "Pooping" party...
You have to try and laugh through the situation otherwise it would be just too hard.
On Sunday, they did the Endoscopy both ends...:(
Long story short...the doctor who did the scope was able to find the source of her bleed and to clip it to prevent further bleeding.
He also took multiple samples of the tissue along the bowel and intestines for further testing. 
He said one area, where the bleed was - was heavily inflamed.
This was her recovery room.
It was a long couple days...but 
finally...she was discharged...
It was an adventure I think we will never forget!
Now on to figuring out what caused it...
SOOOO grateful for the doctors and nurses and all that are involved in helping others - they are so amazing and special!

No comments:

Post a Comment